Agency Header

Veteran's Re-Education

West Virginia Veteran's Re-Education Scholarship Program

Last year the West Virginia Legislature renewed their allocation in grant monies for Veterans’ pursuit of post secondary educational careers. 

Eligibility requirements are simple:

The Veteran:

1. Must be a West Virginia resident.

2. Must be an honorably discharged veteran.

3. Must have served 181 consecutive days of military service. (Reservists with active duty for training only are not eligible.)

4. Must be Pell eligible or unemployed.

5. Must have exhausted Federal VA Education Benefits, including VA Vocational Rehabilitation Training Money.*

6. Students receiving WIA (Workforce Investment Act) and/or TAA (Trade Adjustment Act) funds are eligible for Re-Education funds only if cost of program exceeds WIA and/or TAA maximums.

Application and eligibility verification will be handled by the financial aid department at all eligible educational institutions.**
Eligible full-time students can receive $500 per term, half-time students $250 per term. The amount shall not exceed $1,500 per institutional calendar year.

The legislation also set aside $20,000.00 to be used for the purpose of covering the cost of challenging professional exams (for example: LPN, electrician), licensing certifications, and licensing fees.

If you require additional information, please contact your School Financial Aid Officer or your local State Veterans Assistance Office. The toll free line for WV Dept. of Veterans Assistance is 1-866-WV4-VETS (1-866-984-8387).

Applications will not be accepted directly from students. The educational institution should complete the application, attach a copy of the student’s DD214, and mail them to:

Veteran's Re-Education Scholarship Program
WV Department of Veterans Assistance
1514-B Kanawha Blvd., East
Charleston, WV  25311

*If a veteran is currently receiving GI Educational Benefits or VA Vocational Rehabilitation Educational Benefits, they are not eligible for WV Re-Education Benefits.

**The institution you are attending must be able to receive and disburse your award.